Struan Lodge Beauly
self catering beauly
Terms and Conditions
You may find this information helpful when researching the area prior to your visit
self catering beauly holiday, lodge, self catering, highlands, accommodation, beauly, inverness, loch ness, rural, chalet, family
The Uig Chessmen
The Uig Chessmen consist self catering beauly of a unique hoard of chess pieces carved in walrus ivory, found on the Isle of Leis in 1831. self catering beauly They are now divided between the Museum of Antiquities in Edinburgh (part of the National Museums of Scotland) and the British Museum. The 93 chessmen, which date to the 12th century, are generally acknowledged to be the finest group of early chessmen to have survived. There are differing accounts of how they were discovered, but the actual place they were found is on the south shore of self catering beauly Uig Bay on the island’s western shore. One account of their discovery even credits “a cow rubbing against a sandhill” with assisting in this uniquely important find. It is also generally accepted that the pieces were not made in Lewis, raising the intriguing question – where did they come from?
St Clement’s church is perhaps the most impressive historical building in the Western Isles. It dates from the early sixteenth century and is thought to be built on the site of a much earlier building. The church stands at Rodel, at the southernmost tip of Harris. It is set on a little hillock above Loch Rodel, at the end of the sheltered and limestone-rich valley of Glen Rodel. Rodel was the base chosen by the MacLeods of Harris and even after their chiefs moved to Dunvegan on Skye, they retained Rodel as their ecclesiastical centre.
The church is constructed of local stone, mainly Lewisian gneiss, but the distinctive tower is ornamented black schist with detailed baling of bulls’ heads, the badge of the MacLeods.
The church itself is ornamented in the same way, particularly around the windows. The look-out window in the room at the top of the tower has a commanding view of the Sound of Harris. The building was obviously constructed with security in mind, as well as being a place of worship.
It is not clear whether the church itself was dedicated to Pope Clement or to Clement, Bishop of Dunblane, who died about 1260.
Possibly the most spectacular aspect of the inside of the church, which is open to the public, is the tomb of Alasdair Crotach, or hunchbacked Alasdair, Alexander MacLeod, the eighth chief of Harris and Dunvegan. The tomb was built in 1528 although he did not die until twenty years later.
There are many stories told in the Highlands and Islands about second sight. One concerns a Harrisman who was credited with such powers. He had frequently ‘seen’ one of his neighbours lying dead, with an arrow in his body. The neighbour eventually died in his bed, to the great detriment of the reputation of the seer.
The body was taken to St Clement’s Church in Rodel for burial, but as the procession arrived there, so did another from a different part of the island. An argument started about precedence, and eventually blows were exchanged. Sir Norman MacLeod, one of the most famous chiefs of the Berneray branch of the MacLeods, appeared on the scene, and berated both sides for their unseemly conduct in the churchyard.
When they went back to pick up the body to carry on with the funeral, they found that a stray arrow, show during the dispute, had actually got stuck in the body. As a result, the seer’s reputation revived dramatically!
Translation of religious material into Gaelic began in 1567 with the translation of the Book of Common order by John Carswell, but it was not until exactly two hundred years later that the New Testament in Gaelic first appeared. Before its publication, people’s knowledge of the Scriptures depended largely on oral transmission.